Walk to School Day is October 5, 2016!
International Walk to School Day is a global event that involves communities from more than 40 countries walking and biking to school on the same day. It began in 1997 as a one-day event. Over time, this event has become part of a movement for year-round safe routes to school and a celebration – with record breaking participation – each October.
The information below can help you prepare a successful Walk to School Day, Week, or Month campaign!
Walk to School Webinar
Review slides from Great Ideas for a Great Walk to School Day webinar for tips for a successful event!
- Download customizable California SRTS poster here
- Download Walk to School logos here
- Download posters and other materials and customize it with your program information and logo!
Press Kit for Local Programs
- 10 Tips for Getting Walk to School Media coverage, National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Talking points [Word]
- Opinion-editorial template [Word]
- Press release template [Word]
- Sample Facebook and Twitter posts [Word]
Organizer Guides and Resources
- The International Walk to School Day website is the home of the official Walk to School Day! On the site you can register your event(s), get more information and resources, and see who else is participating in your area.
- Use the International Walk to School Day mapping tool, Map-a-Route, that helps quickly and easily map a route to school.
- New to walking school busses? Read this introduction and guide to starting a walking school bus from the National Center for SRTS.
- Get inspired by this YouTube video about the benefits of walking school buses from Every Body Walk.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Resources
- Traffic Safety Toolkit includes safety tips for parents and learning materials for children, NHTSA
- Pedestrian safety video for children and teens, NHTSA
- Child Pedestrian Safety Curriculum (K-5th grades), NHTSA
- California Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Curriculum (4th and 5th grades).
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Parents, National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Kids, National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Bicycle Helmet Parent-Child Pledge, NHTSA
- For more bicycle safety resources, see our Bike to School Day page!
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Public Service Announcements
- Traffic Safety Toolkit with Chuggington, NHTSA