Walk to School Day is October 7, 2015!
International Walk to School Day is a one-day event occurring during Walk to School Month in October that encourages and celebrates walking to school. The information below can help you prepare a successful Walk to School Day, Week, or Month campaign with an emphasis on helping children stay safe. Be sure to view the slides from our Great Ideas for a Great Walk to School Day webinar for tips for a successful event!
- Download our new customizable California SRTS poster here
- Download Walk to School Logos here
- Download posters and other materials and customize it with your program information and logo!
New! Press Kit for Local Programs
Are you broadcasting your Walk to School campaign? The following materials can be used by local programs to share information about planned Walk to School activities as well as promote the benefits of walking and bicycling to school. In addition to some tips for working with the media, the outreach materials are customizable and include links to regional and school-level data sources to tailor each piece to speak to your community.
- 10 Tips for Getting Walk to School Media coverage, National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Talking points [Word]
- Opinion-editorial template [Word]
- Press release template [Word]
- Sample Facebook and Twitter posts [Word]
Organizer Guides and Resources
- The International Walk to School Day website is the home of the official Walk to School Day event registration site and information and resources for event organizers, parents, and the media. You can also see who else has registered around the country and access annual reports of previous years’ events.
- The California Walk to School Headquarters hosts an extensive range of resources to help plan and organize your event, including customizable flyers and other materials
- Use the International Walk to School Day mapping tool, Map-a-Route, that helps quickly and easily map a route to school
- New to walking school busses? Read this introduction and guide to starting a walking school bus from the National Center for SRTS
- Get inspired by this YouTube video about the benefits of walking school buses from Every Body Walk
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Resources
- Pedestrian Safety tips for parents to help be role models of proper pedestrian behavior for children
- Traffic Safety Toolkit includes safety tips for parents and learning materials for children, NHTSA
- Willie Whistle pedestrian safety video for children, NHTSA
- Get to School (and Back Again) Safely game, NHTSA
- Child Pedestrian Safety Curriculum for students grades Kindergarten through 5th Grade, NHTSA
- Bicycle Safety Information and Downloadable materials, California Department of Public Healthvideo to teach middle and high school youth about how wearing a bicycle helmet can protect them from serious injuries and death, NHTSA
- Ride Smart – It’s Time to Start
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Parents, National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Kids, National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Bicycle Helmet Parent-Child Pledge, NHTSA
- For more bicycle safety resources, see our Bike to School Day page!
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Public Service Announcements
- Traffic Safety Toolkit with Chuggington, NHTSA (a Public Safety Announcement is downloadable from this site)