National Bike to School Day is May 8, 2013!
National Bike to School Day is a one-day event occurring during National Bike Month in May that encourages and celebrates biking to school. This year’s national event is organized by the National Center for Safe Routes to School and follows the successful International Walk to School Day model. Bike to School day events can include bicycle safety education, parent-led bike trains, and other bicycle-related education and encouragement activities.
The information below can help you prepare a successful Bike to School Day event with an emphasis on helping children stay safe on the road, through skills training, and by using a properly fitted helmet.
- Download Bike to School Logos here.
- Download posters and other materials and customize it with your program information and logo!
NEW! Customizable Walk, Bike and Roll Poster!
New 8.5 x 11 sized poster allows you to customize with your program information and logo!
Download California Walk, Bike and Roll Poster (Word)
- Guide to Organizing a Bicycling Skills Event for Children, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Bike to School Day Organizer Guide [PDF], San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- An Organizer’s Guide to Conducting Bicycle Rodeos, New York State Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee, NHTSA-funded
Bicycle Safety Training and Resources
- NEW School Policy Manual for Safe Bicycle Riding, California Department of Public Health
- NEW Ride Smart – It’s Time to Start video to teach middle and high school youth about how wearing a bicycle helmet can protect them from serious injuries and death, NHTSA
- NEW Bicycle Safety Tips for Parents , National Center for Safe Routes to School
- NEW Bicycle Safety Tips for Kids , National Center for Safe Routes to School
- NEW Bicycle Helmet Parent-Child Pledge, NHTSA
- NEW Parent Tip Sheet for helping children learn to ride without training wheels, from the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- Find a League of American Bicyclists League Certified Instructor
- Bicycle Safety Information and Downloadable materials, California Department of Public Health
- Bicycle Safety Curriculum, Bicycle Transportation Alliance (4th – 7th Grade)
- Family Biking Guide
- NHTSA, Find English and Spanish information, including:
Bicycle Safety Public Service Announcements
- Traffic Safety Toolkit with Chuggington, NHTSA
Fitting Bicycle Helmets
- SafeKids USA, online video (1-minute)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Downloadable in English and Spanish
Sample Policies and Resolutions
- Fostering Student Success by Preventing Brain Injury – A School Policy Manual for Safe Bicycle Riding
- Mayor/City Council Resolution Template (for Walk to School Month), Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation
- Sample School District Resolution, San Francisco Bicycle Coalition