Safe Routes to School in California: Case Studies from Local Programs
TARC, in collaboration with the Cities Counties and Schools Partnership, has prepared Safe Routes to School in California: Case Studies from Local Programs. In it you will find in-depth case studies from the City of Chula Vista and Sacramento County. Each case study provides a different model for implementing a successful SRTS program.
California SRTS Programs are Getting Results!
Read the vignettes below to learn how California’s SRTS programs are increasing walking and bicycling and improving safety around the state. Check back often for more success stories!
- Eureka – Alice Birney Elementary
- Eureka – Grant Elementary
- La Mesa
- San Francisco
- San Marino
- Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz – Gault Elementary
California SRTS Program Vignettes
Looking for inspiration and ideas for how to build and sustain a successful SRTS program? Check out these one-page vignettes profiling diverse SRTS programs from throughout California!
- Shasta County: A parent champion and principal buy-in lead to success
- Kern County: A rural community gets mobilized in partnership with local police
- Los Angeles County (Claremont): Flexibility and commitment to sustainability are key
- San Diego County: A youth-driven plan paves the way to success
- Los Angeles County (Long Beach): Strong leadership provides a vision for change
- Riverside County: Planning, prioritizing, and partnering build a lasting program
California Walk to School Success Stories
There are many leaders and paths to create a successful Walk to School Day. The following success stories demonstrate the different ways that California communities handle the challenges of organizing and implementing Walk to School Day. Visit the California Walk to School Headquarters for walk to school resources, downloadable templates, and more!
- Path to Success Led by a Local Health Department
Oakdale Heights Elementary, Butte County: Building capacity for Walk to School Day in a rural community
- Path to Success Led by a City Department of Transportation
City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation: Using media and community partnerships to build success
- Path to Success Led by a School District
Lemoore Union Elementary School District, Kings County: Overcoming the lack of parent volunteers by building relationships
- Path to Success Led by a Local Non-profit
Ecology Action in Santa Cruz County: Improving community capacity to build comprehensive programs
- Path to Success Led by a Hospital
Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego: Overcoming the lack of parental supervision through community collaboration
To learn more…Read interviews with two local event organizers about what worked for them as they organized 2011 Walk to School Day.
SRTS Success Stories from Around the Country
Explore success stories from across the nation to get ideas for what will work in a community like yours!
Looking for sample program models? Check out the Safe Routes to School National Partnership’s Sample Program page!